Short story about Czestochowa:
Częstochowa - the city known all over the world due to the presence of
the Holy Virgin Mary embodied in the icon of the Black Madonna in the
Monastery of the Pauline Fathers. A large multitude makes pilgrimage to
the Madonna with their thanks, pleas, and prayers, both in difficult and
happy moments of their life. Down through the ages Częstochowa has become
one of the main pilgrimage centres of the world. Every year the shrine
is visited on average by 4-5 million pilgrims from as many as 80 countries
from all over the world. A religious and social phenomenon, peculiar to
Poles, is associated with the so called on-foot pilgrimage. It is estimated
that over 200,000 pilgrims come to Częstochowa this way. The longest pilgrimage
routes in Poland itself are over 600 km long and it usually takes pilgrims
up to 20 days to cover that distance. For the first time ever Częstochowa
was mentioned in the year 1220. In the 14th century the town was granted
its foundation charter, according to the German law by King Casimir the
Great, and then the town developed into an important trade centre on the
route from Russia and Wallachia to Lower Silesia and Saxony. The next
significant stage in the development of Częstochowa was initiated when
the town was granted the privilege to excavate and smelt iron ore. The
advantageous location on the Warta River and the proximity of the Monastery
undoubtedly encouraged the town development. Soon another settlement began
to expand, this time around the Monastery and that settlement was granted
municipal rights in 1717.
The two towns became officially joined in 1826. It was then that the Holy
Virgin Mary Avenue got erected and became an axis around which new houses
as well as shops were built. The most intensive development of the town
took place at the time of the Industrial Revolution. The town had access
to water intakes and was situated on the Warsaw Vienna Railway, hence
textile factories and steelworks were built here and haberdashery and
chemical industries began to thrive. Following earlier traditions, Częstochowa
craftsmen manufactured goods from coloured metals, and also glass and
ceramic articles were manufactured. At the end of the 19th century Częstochowa
was one of the most developed industrial centres and the fourth biggest
town in the Kingdom of Poland as regards its inhabitants. The significance
of the city was accencuated during the Exhibition of Industry and Agriculture
held in 1909. The exhibition itself was a comprehensive survey of Polish
cultural and technological capabilities, the national demonstration of
Polish cultural and technological possibilities as well as production
potential. In 1933 Częstochowa was granted the status of a municipal district
At the beginning of the 20th century Częstochowa set up its cultural heritage
institutions. Thus the museum, the theatre, libraries, cinemas as well
as several schools of educational, polytechnic and academic background
got founded. Also, the local press started burgeoning.
In 1925 the Diocese of Częstochowa was established and later the Diocese
was awarded the status of Archdiocese by Pope John Paul II in the year
The good business climate has always prevailed in Częstochowa. The city
is now a big centre with a well-developed infrastructure and a strong
social and economic potential. As an important academic centre with its
nine higher profile schools with over 40.000 students, the city is a centre
of culture based on tradition. Częstochowa, the city open for the world
from the very beginning, was the first town in Poland to be granted the
Prix de’l Europe award by the Council of Europe. The award gave a special
splendour to the City and its inhabitants.
You can spend an unforgettable time when in the city, due to its exceptional
climate and the special atmosphere of the Holy Virgin Mary Avenue.
The town is located 56 km from KATOWICE airport, about 30 minutes drive.
It is situated on the Krakowsko - Częstochowska Upland, and it has 255
000 inhabitants. The town is located at the foot of Pauline Fathers Monastery.
It is favourite place of the Pope John Paul II, to wich he used to come
as an archbishop and the Pope. Here gathered 1 milion people from all
over the world during the World Youth day.
Specific atmosphere of religious tradition, spiritual and artistic heritage
attracts numbers of pilgrims from the world every year. Częstochowa is
the town of rich religious traditions. This is the heart of Polish Nation.
This is the place of all who search for comfort in prayer. Częstochowa
is the spiritual capital of Poland for Polish people here and abroad.
The majestic Pauline Fathers Monastery stands on a lime soil hill surrounded
by a wall and a park.
The high belltower of the Monastery dominates over the town and can
be seen from miles away. The sanctuary founded at the begining of l2th
century was also a fortress. The quadrangle of the huge monastery adjoints
to the chapel with the holy painting of Black Madonna, thanks to which
Jasna Góra is considered to be the biggest sanctuary of Our Blessed Mother
in Poland. The painting from Jasna Góra is famous for its miracles which
attracts pilgrims from the whole Europe. John Paul II left his belt, from
his shot accident, in the chapel of the holy painting. Behind the quadrangle
of the huge monastery we can see the Arsenal of Jasna Góra Fortress. The
complex is surrounded by the wall along which there are the Stations Of
The Cross. While visiting the rich Arsenal and the Treasury we can see
historical remembrances of the last 600 years of the Polish and European
history. The visit to Jasna Góra helps to understand the history of Poland.